Welcome to my blog. My name is Lizzie and this is a diary of my Mums dementia, the people who I mention in my entries are John my husband, Michael my brother, Teresa my sister and Dib and Daph who are mums brother and sister-in-law.... It has been a hard struggle and I have written a diary all through every step of her progress deeper into the illness.




Tuesday 20 January 2015

Tuesday 1st May - Thursday 31st May .. Mums moods are up and down

Tuesday 1st May 2012

Lissa text to say that they had been in to see mum and she was quite bright, Teresa had cut mums fingers nails and they stayed with her until she went up to have her hair done at the hairdressers

Thursday 3rd May

Mum was in the dining room asleep, John tapped her on the shoulder and she said 'Oh good', she looked better but rambling a lot.  Tina told us that she was eating better and also walking a lot better, she didn't have her walking frame, it was in her room, she wanted to come home with us, John told her that we had to go to work and she would be on her own she said ' well I'll be one' ?

Sunday 6th May

Daphne phoned from the care home to say that mum has had a stumble this morning, she fell against the table and ended up on her knees, she is also having trouble swallowing again, it is as if her throat is really sore, they will get the doctor to see her on Tuesday, he may refer her to hospital to have a camera put down to see what the problem is.

Monday 7th May

I phoned to see how mum was, I spoke to Tina, she didn't seem to know much about what happened yesterday! she said that mum was fine but wandering around still.  I asked her about mums throat and about seeing the doctor and she said she would make sure she was on his list for tomorrow. ( she did say that mum has been referred before, something we didn't know! )

Teresa text to say she was going in to see mum tomorrow as she was going to Steve's until Monday.  I told her about mum and her seeing the doctor, she said that she would let me know if there was any news.

Thursday 10th May 

Mum very muddly, Daphne told me the doctor is sending her for a barium meal to see what the throat problem is, her attention span today was very poor and a couple of times we noticed she could be quite aggressive in her looks and attitude.  She said ' we haven't got any apples' I asked her if she would like one and she said 'only half way' I asked her if she liked to be awkward she gave a cheeky smile and said 'yes'.

She was in the dining room with Betty and she said to mum 'you used to live 2 doors down the road from me' mum looked confused and then just said 'yes'... I asked her where she lived and she said 'Hawkhurst'. I also mentioned that she lived in Hastings when she was younger and she agreed with me

She wasn't really that interested in our visit today.

Thursday 17th May

Mum in the lounge, she was happy to see us and remembered that I was her daughter, she was very talkative but we only understood a few of the things she said.  She mentioned Char a lot and said that her mum had been gone for a long time.  She looked well and Tina told us that she had an appointment at William Harvey hospital on Tuesday June 5th at 10am for her barium meal, I said that I would tell Michael and Teresa and we would work out who would go with her.

We walked mum along to the dining room for her lunch (she was actually using her zimmer frame,) , when we got her seated at the dining table we told her that we would see her after she had had her lunch, she really shouted at me 'NO'  she didn't want us to go, I think that she had heard Tina telling me about her hospital appointment and thought that we would be taking her out.

Sophie (carer) came and put an apron on mum for her to have lunch and apologised to her for not putting one on when she had her breakfast and she had spilled her breakfast down her clothes. Mum looked at her and told her 'well, I kept telling you about it'

I text both Michael and  Teresa and told them about the hospital appointment in June, I don't know who will be taking her, Daphne is on duty at the weekend and will know more about it.

Wednesday 23rd May 

Teresa phoned, she had been into see mum today, she spoke to Daphne who had shown her the details of the barium meal, she is really worried about it, Daphne said that mum had choked on a cornflake so don't know how she will cope.  Teresa is working on the Tuesday so will not be able to go with mum.  Daphne booked the transport to take mum to the hospital.  We have Laura coming for the day as she has the day off and we don't see her very often as she is working, she said that she would get in touch with  Michael.  I told her that we were going in to see mum tomorrow.

I phoned Michael and asked him if he could take mum for her hospital appointment and he said that he could.

Thursday 24th May

It took quite a while before mum realised that we were there and then she looked up and said 'Oh! they are mine' we decided to take her for a walk around the park, she turned to Daisy, who she was sitting with and asked her if she was coming too, I had to tell her that we weren't allowed to take her out.

She loved going out and chatted a lot, she seems to relax more and be more aware of everything around her and gave everyone we passed a lovely big grin and really loves it when they talk to her, she couldn't remember our names but kept talking about Char, her dad and Michael, she loves it by the pond, she wore my hat and took it off and held it up to John and said 'Look matching'.  I gave her a drink and she was quite happy drinking from the bottle, we stayed out for over an hour and she enjoyed every minute of it, she didn't really want to go back.



She spoke to Karen and Salome on the way back in, we took her to her room, she kept looking around as if she couldn't work out where she was. we put her TV on for her and asked her if she wanted to stay in her wheelchair or go back into her armchair, she said that she couldn't get out, when all of a sudden she just stood up, took her zimmer frame and started to walk down the corridor, we asked her where she was going and she said 'to see Char'.

We went into the dining room and sat with her at the table as it was lunch but she kept standing up saying 'No let's go' the carer told her she would take her out into the garden after lunch, she told us to just go... It is hard to leave her it would be nice to pick her up and take her home...

We saw Daphne on the way out and told her that Michael would be going with mum to the hospital, she said would we still want transport or would he take her in his car and said that I would get in contact with him and get him to let her know ASAP.

Thursday 31st May 

Mum was good today, she was in her room and so different from last week, she was quite talkative and looked very content and happy, when we left I said that I had to go to the office she asked me why and I told her that I had to leave some money for her, she said ' don't use yours, take mine' and gave me her photo album..bless her... when we were going she said, 'Hurry back, I miss you'

 



No comments:

Post a Comment