Welcome to my blog. My name is Lizzie and this is a diary of my Mums dementia, the people who I mention in my entries are John my husband, Michael my brother, Teresa my sister and Dib and Daph who are mums brother and sister-in-law.... It has been a hard struggle and I have written a diary all through every step of her progress deeper into the illness.




Tuesday 20 January 2015

Tuesday 5th June - 27th June 2012

Tuesday 5th June

Michael text to say all went well with mums barium meal and that we will get the results next week

Friday 8th June

Mum was sitting in someone elses room, Laura came with us and mum looked at her and asked her who she was, we got her to go into her room and we sat with her in there, she was very jolly but kept asking Laura who she was, when Laura told her she said 'I'll write that down' so John gave her a piece of paper and a pen, she just put circles on the page, John wrote Laura's name down and she tried to copy it.  She looked well but frail, she has lost a lot of weight she has dropped from a size 22 to a size 16  clothes size.

We told her that Laura was her grand daughter and she said 'I've seen one of those' we thing that she must mean Lissa who went in on Wednesday. She looked at me and said 'what have you done to your hair, it needs a wash!' .. John was being cheeky with her and I said 'slap him mum, he is being silly' and she said 'I like them silly'.

She was fine when we said that we had to go as we had to take Laura home, she looked at Laura and said that we could take her again.

Monday 19th June

We went in to see mum today after a week away,  We parked round the back by her room, John looked in her window and it took her a while to realise who he was and then she waved at him to come in, she was on her way out of her room to come and look for us by the time we got there.She asked us where we had been and John said that we had been on holiday to Devon, she said to him ' well, you could have come for me'.

She has lost even more weight but looks well and was happy and talkative, I was a bit apprehensive about seeing her today but she was fine, she was OK when we left and said that we would see her later. to which she said 'I hope so'

Daphne told me the results of mums barium meal, she has a small pouch that has developed at the back of her throat that sometimes gets food lodged in it, they will not be doing anything at the moment just keeping an eye on things, Daphne says that she is eating and drinking OK.

Wednesday 27th June

Mum was walking to the lounge, I called her and she had her back to me and said 'what', I said 'it's me mum', she was so very pleased to see us, it was such a lovely day that we took her out into the garden, the roses were lovely, we had to move into the shady part as the sun was really hot, she talked quite a lot about Dib, Chris and Ken.



I took in a couple of photos of Matt and Laura, she kept looking at the one of the two of them together and saying 'that's lovely, they are mine'.  We stayed outside for a couple of hours, we took her back to her room, John re-tuned her TV ..She was fine when we left.

On the way out I had to go and fine a carer as one of the ladies had taken all of her clothes off, she was sitting in her chair totally naked with all her clothes around her on the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment